Monday, April 29, 2013

Artist Statement HW Riusuke Fukahori

Riusuke Fukahori - Paints Three-Dimensional Goldfish Embedded in Layers of Resin
ARTIST STATEMENT 
I think of goldfish as a living sculpture with man-made modifications. It never reaches the completed form; the goldfish’s vulnerability and imperfections bring out our motherly instinct. I've been bewitched with the strong energy of life of goldfish that has inherited mutations for more than 1500 years, continuously changing forms by man's hands. I've been depicting an uncountable numbers of goldfish in my work, but the mysterious pull towards goldfish will never die for me. The impulse of exploration, "What are goldfish" drives me to create more. Where and how they want to swim, and what they think; these are the questions that I've been asking myself when I paint goldfish. I believe this process will help breathe life into the goldfish in my works.

  Fukahori's artist statement explains his captivation for goldfish and why he incorporates goldfishes into his work. His creations are extraordinary life like and speak for themselves. There are videos on you-tube that show how the gold fishes were made, so learning about the process can be found elsewhere and is not needed in the statement. His statement clarifies his fascination for the creatures.        





No comments:

Post a Comment