Monday, April 29, 2013

Artist statement Ashley Blanchette
Sefla Joseph

My figures are searches, looking for ways to be at ease in their own skin. Painting from an intuitive place will often take me into the unexpected, where shapes, colors, marks, and lines take on a life of their own, revealing mysteries to ponder and reflect on. If my works reach out, touching a viewer, inviting them in to share this journey, I fell my paintings have taken root and the connection between myself and the viewer becomes a tender place.

This is a figurative painter and I really enjoyed reading her artist statement because it dealt with painting and what I think a large amount of artist try to convey in their artwork. She wants to somehow through her paintings, touch the viewers and give them a different perspective on what they see on a canvas. I think I aspire to do the same and that is why I chose her. The audience this is intended for, I think, a large scope of people. Anyone who appreciates figurative paintings. I think viewing the work is necessary to understanding the artist because even without knowing, an artist has their own special style that the bring to a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment