Monday, April 29, 2013

Artist Statement HW 4/29

Isabelle Lydick

Artist Statement by Tal R:


"Every artwork should have a certain “hand” that reaches out for the audience, but the physical experience is completely beyond what you can explain on the phone. You can almost explain Donald Judd or Bruce Nauman over the phone. But when you see the pieces, they work on you in a different way. I want there to be normal things in my paintings that everybody can pick up, but when you stand in front of them you get insecure about what you’re watching. It’s like getting the viewer to the dance floor with a very cheesy pop song. If you ask people, they won’t admit that they like the song, but when they hear it, they move. Or like when you put french fries on the table. People will say, “No, I don’t like french fries.” But then everybody’s picking at the french fries. That’s how the painting should work."


This statement came in the form of an interview, and I really connect to what the artist is saying here. In my own paintings, I want to have simple, or normal elements, but I also want elements that make you stop, make you think. I like those elements in art as a whole, not just in painting; elements that are unexplainable. It can be good if things are a bit off. So this statement is for a broad audience, and I find it effective because it is so direct. The artist says what he believes.

No comments:

Post a Comment