Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Artist Statement HW 4/30/13


Artist statement by Alex Hall (alexhallart.com) :
        "My new series “Relativity” depicts individuals floating in time and space. I chose to paint the figures with no distinct faces so they would relate to every man and every woman. This particular series is a very honest representation of where I am currently in my own life. Having recently graduated college and being thrown off my feet into the real world, I was extremely overwhelmed. I still was not sure what path to take or which way to go in life. I began to realize that most people are familiar with this feeling of uncertainty. With that idea, I sought out to create a series that was a visual representation of an emotion that has been universally felt by all people: A sense of uncertainty, and ultimately struggling to achieve a balance in life."

       This artist statement pertains to a body of work and explains the theme of the work. I find this effective because Hall explains what is going on in the series of work along with why he paints this body of work. The audience is the viewer of his work. He stated that he chose to paint the figures with no distinct faces to have a universal meaning, where anyone could relate to the paintings. Since he describes what is going on in the images, it is not necessary to have to see the image before reading the statement, although it is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment