Monday, March 18, 2013

What Is Art?

1. What is art?
   Art can be defined in many different ways. What we determine what is and what isn't art all depends on the matter of perspective. I find art to be a way for someone to express themselves, their likes and interests much like composing a musical score, writing/telling a story, dancing, building a car, or drawing sketches. People create things mainly due to self interest and admiration from peers comes as a sort of bonus. Some create art for others, their career and for personal means. I don't find abstract forms of art to be actually "art" but that doesn't deny the fact that many others disagree with my opinion. Art shows the passion an individual has placed in a piece of work and that art came come in various shapes and forms.

2. What is an artist? Is this an exclusive or inclusive title? Are titles necessary?
   An artist is someone who can imagine and create. Artists are people with passions in the things they do or make. Most people find an artist to be someone who can draw, although that is mostly true, simply creating something makes a person an artist. A big time artist creating a large mural for people to see and admire to a child making a post card for their mother all apply to the same principle, to convey a message. The title "artist" can comply to anyone.
  
3. Why make art at all?
   Personally I make art because it's my passion. I love drawing people, portraits, buildings, cars, flowers, landscapes, illustrations, animations, tattoo designs, etc. I'm not limited to one subject matter because my interests are always changing. I make drawings because I enjoy it and nothing more. It's nice getting compliments on my drawings but that's not why I continue to draw. I've made tons of drawings and sketches that no one has really ever seen. I make art because it's something I like to do, what other reason do I need? There are many reasons as to why people bother to make art but almost everyone makes art because they have some sort of passion to do so.
  
4. How do you assess art?
    People have different opinions as to what is bad art and what is good art. Again, It's a matter of perspective. People do what they like, but sometimes negative reviews are a set back to their passions. For me, sometimes I don't care about opinions of others, I just make the art work that I like although most seem to really enjoy my pieces. I've never considered slashing paint or drawing squares on a canvas to ever be art, but that shouldn't stop people from doing so. I've always admired photojournalism because it captures the real life expressions of people at a certain time in their lives and withholds a sense to mystery to the background story. Everybody sees things differently. For example I understand the purpose and meaning of photojournalism but I can never understand abstract art. It's simply something i just dislike but something others love.  



            

No comments:

Post a Comment